After the week in Sturgis, South Dakota, it was time for All Music Magazine to send correspondent Mark Horan of MarkHoran.Pictures LLC back out into the field to cover the local Central Florida Music Scene. Keeping close to the main office, Mark traveled to Saint Cloud, Florida, and checked out Brews ‘N’ Blues and The Drunken Parrot Saloon. Below he reports what he witnessed.
I arrived at Brews ‘N’ Blues at approximately 10:00pm. It was a rainy evening and parking was easy as the streets were half empty. The venue had the cover band Harlequin rocking out on the stage. Harlequin labels themselves as a “Rock Dance Cover Band”. Their set list includes “Walk Like an Egyptian”, “Paradise By The Dashboard Lights”, “I Get Knocked Down….”, “Rebel Yell”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, and “Sweet Child of Mine”. Most of these covers are difficult to pull off but, Harlequin has a female lead singer that has the range that can do so.
Britt Nikole on lead vocals is new to the band that won the 2019 Battle of the Babes in Daytona Beach. Backing Britt on vocals are the entire band. I must report that the harmonies were spot on. The competition in Daytona included over 20 Central Florida bands. Harlequin was founded in 2018. They are great entertainment for a fun night out. I did see some folks dancing!
Britt Nikole – Lead vocals
Karen Klavans – Vocals , Keys, flute
Steve Robertz – Vocals, guitar, Keys
James McRae – vocals, Bass
Buzz Klavans – Vocals, drums
- I Get Knocked Down… (Chumbawamba cover)
- Heat Wave (Martha and the Vandellas cover)
- Bad Romance (Lady Gaga Cover)
- Walk Like an Egyptian (The Bangles cover)
- Dancing Queen (ABBA Cover)
- The One That I Want (John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John cover)
- Lights ( Journey cover)
- I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas cover)
- Take On Me (a-ha cover)
- Just a Girl (No Doubt cover)
- Oh What A night (The Four Seasons cover)
- Paradise By The Backseat Lights (Meatloaf cover)
- Welcome to Black Parade (My Chemical Romance cover)
- Boys of Summer (Don Henley cover)
- Rebel Yell (Billy Idol cover)
- Sweet Child O Mine (Guns N Roses cover)
- Talk Dirty to Me (Poison cover)
- I touch Myself (Divinyls cover)
- Beds Are Burning (Midnight Oil cover)
- Someone you Love (Lewis Capaldi cover)
- Ballroom Blitz (Sweet cover)
- Don’t Stop Believin’ (Journey cover)
- My Own Worst Enemy (Lit cover)
- Zombie (The Cranberries cover)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen cover)
- Here’s To Us (Halestorm cover)
Follow Harlequin Online:
I left Brews ‘N’ Blues at around 10:50pm. I was planning a stop at The Drunken Parrot Saloon on the way to the office. I was going to just stop in and catch a little of Papa Wheelee‘s set. For those that remember, All Music Magazine had covered Papa Wheelee at The Drunken Parrot Saloon on June 12, 2020, and I wanted to drop in and say hi! For those that missed the review you can click this link, Papa Wheelee at the Drunken Parrot and review the coverage.
When I arrived around 11:00pm, I was pleasantly surprised to see Jackwagon on stage. Jackwagon is the acoustic duo project put together by Papa Wheelee’s lead guitar player Jack Wallace and vocalist Judi Drabek. I had been meaning to get out to see this acoustic act. It was my lucky night! It seems that Jack’s mother lives in Saint Cloud and doesn’t travel much, so she hasn’t seen her sons new project Jackwagon either. Papa Wheelee was playing this night in Saint Cloud and Jack convinced the band to allow Judi to join him on stage between their sets to allow Jack’s mother to see his acoustic project, Jackwagon.
The duo played covers and both sang along with Jack’s strong guitar playing. Tonight was a bonus night! Please checkout the images from Jackwagon and Papa Wheelee.
Jackwagon is Jack Wallace and Judi Drabek
Papa Wheelee is:
David Hayes – Lead Vocals, Guitar….
Jack Wallace – Guitar, Vocals….
Johnny Bell – Bass, Vocals….
James Thatcher – Drums & Fireball!!!!…..
Stay tuned for more local coverage of Central Florida as All Music Magazine supports all bands that support the magazine. If you’re a Central Florida band, please make sure your band is in our band archives and get your schedule up on our shows page.
Photographer and Editor/Founder of AllMusicMagazine.com. My love of live music has taken me to incredible experiences with the top bands of all time in stadium shows to the smallest venues with equally inspiring musicians. Using the medium of photography and my publication, these memories will last forever.